Wednesday, April 4, 2012

DIY Personalized Silhouette Art

It seems that these days silhouette-ing is ALL over the place.  It's not just your run-of-the-mill Disney World souvenir anymore (am I the only one whose tiny black-framed silhouette is still gracing the walls of my parents house? I think not!).  So, in the spirit of bringing a little old-school wall art into modern times, I have decided that my husband and I should be cast in black!  I know, the suspense is just killing you...




First:
You are going to need some fabulous and possibly unflattering profile pictures of your subjects.  I say unflattering and you will soon understand what I mean.  I apparently felt the need to pose for my profile pics in the middle of the night and looking particularly grungy.  So you'll start with this:


See what I mean? eeww. Anyway, no time for vanity people!  We must get going. 

Second:
Print this lovely photo from your home printer in the size needed to fit your frame.

Third:
Cut your photo out following your profile carefully.  This is important because any mistakes here could have you looking a bit... skewed.  And the whole point is having PERSONALIZED silhouettes, if you didn't care if it looked like you why waste the time??

Now you'll need to gather some supplies:
A pencil
Black card stock
Background paper in a contrasting color
Scrap booking tape
A pretty frame



Fourth:
Tape your cut-out profile onto the BACK of the black card stock and trace carefully around your profile.



Now if you have a wonky ponytail, like I did in my profile pic, just kinda re-draw it so it looks sassy.  I also added a playful little eyelash, too. 



Fifth:
Cut it out-- carefully again.


And you'll wind up with this:


Lastly:  Arrange your silhouettes on your background paper and tape with double backed scrap booking tape, put in a frame and there you have it!



Now, where to put it??  Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment